Re: [squid-users] DNS timeouts - unable to reduce timeout

From: <declanw_at_is.bbc.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2010 16:07:28 +0000

On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 11:18:02AM -0200, Marcus Kool wrote:
> DNS lookups are done by the resolver.

They are done by the (libc) resolver if the program use the resolver API.
Squid does not use the resolver API, so it does not use this resolver.

> Options on Linux can be set in /etc/resolv.conf (see also man resolv.conf).
> The default timeout is only 5 seconds and any program, including Squid,
> that does a nameserver query should get an answer (including an error)
> in 5 seconds.
> In my case I have 3 nameservers in /etc/resolv.conf and the total
> timeout is 15 seconds.

Squid looks in the resolv.conf for the list of nameservers if you didn't
tell it any. That's all it uses the file for. As I understand it, the
rest is ignored.

Squid cannot use the standard resolver API as it blocks, and Squid cannot
hang around waiting for an answer like that, so it slings its own raw DNS
packets and does other work while waiting for any returning packets.

> Try "time nslookup -debug -d2 83.231.150.45" and see what
> your nameserver is doing.

The problem is not the nameserver - the problem is the client waiting so long
for the answer that it defeats its primary purpose of proxying.

I don't know how 'dns_timeout' isn't solving this, but a real-world test
doesn't lie.

> Marcus
>
> Nick Cairncross wrote:
> >Don't know if it's if use but could dnsmasq speed this up?

No. By definition an internet web proxy has raw internet access, so it
has no use for NAT or masquerading when doing its own DNS lookups.

DW

--
Declan White
Internet Operations - Unix Engineer