Re: [squid-users] Reg: Squid taking all most all the RAM

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar_at_fantomas.sk>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 08:55:39 +0100

On 19.11.10 15:13, Sathish Kannan Subramanian wrote:
> First of all sorry if this question was asked before, I am
> running squid2.6stable21 version in production server.

That's too old version. Upgrade to 2.7 or 3.1 if possible.

> I am unable to upgrade the squid with latest stable version b'coz its in
> production server.

so you prefer slow service and unability to run other services over
upgrading Squid?

> The server has 8GB RAM, total no. of users 160.
>
> My problem is, squid taking all
> the 8GB ram(almost all), so i am unable to run any other services also
> the surfing speed is slow.

is it the squid _process_ taking 8GB of RAM? is it virtual or resident
memory size?

> cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 500 16 256
> cache_mem 8MB

This indicates memory leak in squid or some libraries. With this
configuration such a problem is unlikely to appear.

However it's possible that users are downloading that many content in
parallel that the memory is eaten by buffers.

What does squid's memory info say?

I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges.