Re: [squid-users] Squid configuration query

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2010 22:50:47 +1300

On 29/11/10 22:26, Ajith P.T wrote:
> Sir,
> We need to configure squid for our environment . I'm giving the requirement
> 1. we have the domain in windows 2008 and have to authenticate the users in it

Supported by any recent version.

> 2. we have to limit the total usage of browsing time of the day for
> user (eg. user1 can use 1hrs each day, user 2 can use 2 hrs each day)

Supported by any recent version.

> 3. we have to limit the download limit of the day for user (eg. user1
> can download 100 mb each day, user 2 can download 1GB each day)

Quota (of a kind) supported only by Squid-3.2 (beta).
Requires external bandwidth monitoring and accounting for all other
releases.

> We can user linux as well as windows for internet server
> but domain server cant be changed that must be windows server 2008.
> Please suggest which server flavour should i use(Linux or Windows)

The choice depends on other criteria which have not been stated.

Windows has limited FD resources (max 2048) and a few unavailable
features (ie NAT support), and Squid-3 is not considered production
ready on Windows at this time. These may or may not be a problem.

You may also choose from BSD, Solaris or AIX servers.

> Please advice me ang give me the documentation for the same
> . I'm looking your favourable reply

http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc

HTH