Re: [squid-users] Cache Gain

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 22:39:25 +1300

On 03/12/10 19:04, benjamin fernandis wrote:
> Hi Friends,
>
> I m going to setup squid for cache purpose only.I have 200 client
> machine in my network.And i want to use squid for caching purpose
> only.so please suggest me how much RAM and hard disk is ideal.And

As much as you can afford to purchase.

IIRC there is a general rule-of-thumb indicating 40% of your port-80
traffic over a 7 days period was good.

Both RAM and disk space are easy to add or change as needed later.

> please suggest me what factors should i have to keep in mind when my
> purpose is cache gain...?

There is only one factor: how much data is being stored in and served
from the cache. Use the latest releases and watch your MISS traffic very
closely.

HIT ratios are the big ones. So far we have benchmarks of up to 55% HTTP
traffic in ISP situations.

You may want to also see the http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq on
operating Squid.

Amos