Re: [squid-users] Re: authentication problems

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:20:39 +1300

On 07/12/10 10:30, ant2ne wrote:

> I upgraded to squid 3.0, and the slow prompt problem went away. Problem 1
> solved.
>
>> Problem 2, I would like anyone who fails to authenticate to be assigned a
>> user creditials; default-user. How would I do this?
> No reasonably secure browser sends credentials by default. Anyone who
> fails to authenticate is requested to send credentials.
>
> Let me address problem 2 a different way. Suppose my external firewall
> bounces all traffic that is not originating from my proxy. Suppose there are
> automated applications that need to access the internet, and cant' supply
> credentials. Could I tweak squid's acl to not require authentication for
> devices trying to access those locations. Suppose I needed my anti virus to
> get files from http://myantivirus.com, but it doesn't open a browser to
> fetch these updates.

That is one of the common problems all admin face eventually:
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Authenticate/Bypass

FWIW: most network software these days has places to configure
credentials for at least basic auth. (flexible definition of "most"
which excludes Java apps).

Amos

--
Please be using