[squid-users] Re: Kerberos authentication with MIT KDC

From: Rob Asher <rasher_at_paragould.k12.ar.us>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2010 16:10:30 -0600

Hi Markus,

I created the service principal with kadmin on the apple server. The actual command was kadmin.local -q "add_principal HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd". I used kadmin also to export the keytab. Here's exactly what I did:

xserve:~ root# kadmin.local
Authenticating as principal root/admin_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD with password.
kadmin.local: xst -k proxyserver.keytab HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
Entry for principal HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD with kvno 5, encryption type Triple DES cbc mode with HMAC/sha1 added to keytab WRFILE:proxyserver.keytab.
Entry for principal HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD with kvno 5, encryption type ArcFour with HMAC/md5 added to keytab WRFILE:proxyserver.keytab.
Entry for principal HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD with kvno 5, encryption type AES-128 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC added to keytab WRFILE:proxyserver.keytab.
Entry for principal HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD with kvno 5, encryption type AES-256 CTS mode with 96-bit SHA-1 HMAC added to keytab WRFILE:proxyserver.keytab.
kadmin.local: q

xserve:~ root# klist -k proxyserver.keytab
Keytab name: WRFILE:proxyserver.keytab
KVNO Principal
---- --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   5 HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
   5 HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
   5 HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
   5 HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD

xserve:~ root# kadmin.local -q "list_principals" | grep -i http
HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
HTTP/xserve.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
http/xserve.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD

That last command to list the http principals confused me and I'm not familiar with kerberos at all really. Is it showing there are http service principals for both proxyserver.paragould.psd and xserve.paragould.psd or does the KDC automatically add a http service principal for itself too? In this case, xserve.paragould.psd is the KDC server running on OS X Server 10.6.2 and proxserver.paragould.psd is the squid server running on CentOS 5.5. I copied the exported proxyserver.keytab to /etc/squid/ on the host proxyserver.paragould.psd and made sure the squid user had read access to it. Running kinit squidserver and giving it's password works I think. klist after that shows:

[root_at_proxyserver squid]# klist
Ticket cache: FILE:/tmp/krb5cc_0
Default principal: squidserver_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD

Valid starting Expires Service principal
12/08/10 15:38:42 12/09/10 01:38:42 krbtgt/XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
        renew until 12/09/10 15:38:42

Kerberos 4 ticket cache: /tmp/tkt0
klist: You have no tickets cached

I'm sure I've missed something or messed something up but I'm at a loss as what it is or where to even start looking. Thanks for any help!

Regards,
Rob

----------------
Rob Asher
Network Systems Technician
Paragould School District
870-236-7744 x169

>>> "Markus Moeller" <huaraz_at_moeller.plus.com> 12/08/10 2:39 PM >>>
Hi Rob,

  It looks like your kdc does not know about the service principal
HTTP/proxyserver.paragould.psd_at_XSERVE.PARAGOULD.PSD
  How did you create the entry and keytab ?

Markus