[squid-users] do I have peering configured correctly?

From: Rich Rauenzahn <rrauenza_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 18:07:28 -0800

I'm not convinced I have peering configured correctly. Here is my environment:

These are internal specialized squid servers for serving internal web
sites/deliverables. The main squid server at corporate is intended to
accelerate a few sites. At corporate, we have 4 squid servers fronted
by haproxy to load balance them.

We have ACL's setup so that by default everything goes to the download
web servers, but a few specific url's get proxied to some other
servers. What I'm unsure about is whether the ACL's are preventing
the cache_peer squid1-4 directives from being actually used...

http_port 80 defaultsite=squid
http_port 8081 defaultsite=squid
icp_port 3130

cache_peer download1 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=download1
round-robin connect-fail-limit=1
cache_peer download2 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=download2
round-robin connect-fail-limit=1
cache_peer download3 parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=download3
round-robin connect-fail-limit=1

cache_peer maven-repo parent 8081 0 no-query originserver name=mavenrepo

cache_peer foo parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=foo

cache_peer squid1 sibling 80 3130 proxy-only name=squid1
cache_peer squid2 sibling 80 3130 proxy-only name=squid2
cache_peer squid3 sibling 80 3130 proxy-only name=squid3
cache_peer squid4 sibling 80 3130 proxy-only name=squid4

http_access allow all

acl mavenpath urlpath_regex ^/artifactory
acl mavenpath urlpath_regex ^/nexus
acl mavenport myport 8081
acl foopath urlpath_regex ^/foo-packages

cache_peer_access download1 deny mavenport
cache_peer_access download2 deny mavenport
cache_peer_access download3 deny mavenport

cache_peer_access download1 deny mavenpath
cache_peer_access download2 deny mavenpath
cache_peer_access download3 deny mavenpath

cache_peer_access download1 deny foopath
cache_peer_access download2 deny foopath
cache_peer_access download3 deny foopath

# Only allow mavenpath and maven port to go to maven
cache_peer_access mavenrepo allow mavenpath
cache_peer_access mavenrepo allow mavenport
cache_peer_access mavenrepo deny all

# Only allow foopath to go to foo
cache_peer_access foo allow foopath
cache_peer_access foo deny all

We have another setup for remote sites that have their own squid
server. Currently these point to the download servers at corporate,
but I'd also like them to peer with the four squid servers configured
as above. This is what I currently have:

http_port 3128 defaultsite=squid
http_port 80 defaultsite=squid
http_port 8081 defaultsite=squid
# download is actually a round robin dns for download1,2,3
cache_peer download parent 80 0 no-query originserver name=download
cache_peer maven-repo parent 8081 0 no-query originserver name=mavenrepo
visible_hostname squid

cache_peer squid1 sibling 80 3130 name=squid1
cache_peer squid2 sibling 80 3130 name=squid2
cache_peer squid3 sibling 80 3130 name=squid3
cache_peer squid4 sibling 80 3130 name=squid4

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
http_access allow all

acl maven urlpath_regex ^/artifactory ^/nexus
acl mavenport myport 8081
cache_peer_access download deny maven
cache_peer_access download deny mavenport
cache_peer_access mavenrepo allow maven
cache_peer_access mavenrepo allow mavenport
cache_peer_access mavenrepo deny all

What I'm concerned about is that when I tested a remote server I
couldn't find evidence of it peering with the corporate squid server
to pull a file -- and I'm wondering if my ACL's are somehow preventing
the sibling peer relationship from being used for 'download'

The corporate server is running 3.1.9 and the remotes are running 2.6.STABLE6