[squid-users] Hash Sum mismatches

From: Alex King <alex_at_king.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 11:21:55 +1300

I am running squid on a Debian machine, Version: 3.0.STABLE8-3+lenny3

I have a situation where ubuntu updates are corrupted. The end users
get a message about hash sum mismatches. If they re-try the update,
squid delivers the same corrupted file.

Yesterday they reported to me three specific files. I grabbed the three
files (with wget) and confirmed they were corrupted. I then purged them
from the cache and re-fetched them, and got the correct file.

The corrupt and subsequent correct files are the same size. I inspected
each of the three cases with vbindiff, and in each case the corruption
is similar: the file sizes are identical, but there is one place where
32 consecutive bytes of data are corrupted. This happened neither at
the beginning nor end, but at a different point in each case.

This does not happen for every file downloaded, but often enough that
many updates (of multiple files) or installs fail to work.

I guess it could be a problem with the mirror site
(http://nz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/), or it may be squid or something
else on the local machine. An earlier version of squid
(2.7.STABLE3-4.1lenny1) was also resulting in Hash Sum mismatch errors
for the users. It's possible they may get corruption of other resources
fetched via squid which I have not heard about.

I am at a loss as to what to do next to locate the problem.

Cheers,
Alex