[squid-users] Caching identical items from a dynamic URL

From: Volker-Yoblick, Adam <avolker_at_ea.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:59:32 -0800

Greetings,

I've got a fairly unique problem that maybe someone can assist with.

I'm sending files to a machine through my cache, but part of the URL is dynamic, even if the file is exactly the same. For example, the lines in my access.log all look like this:

GET http://1.2.3.4/foo/<GUID>/bar/abc.txt

Where GUID is different for every single deploy, even if the file is exactly the same. This is done by creating a virtual directory that points to a fixed location, but the name of the virtual directory is a GUID, and changes on every run. This system is already in place, and cannot be changed.

I have found that the files are NEVER served from the cache when the GUID is different, even if the file MD5 is exactly the same. Every single fill is a cache miss, every time. (I've verified that I DO get cache hits across multiple deploys when the GUID is the same)

I imagine this is because squid is using the full URL to determine whether or not the file is cached, either by including it in the MD5 hash, or using it as the lookup, or something similar.

Is there any way to tell SQUID to just look at a certain part of the URL, or something similar? Or will I have to modify the squid source to get this working with the existing system?

Thanks for your time,

-Adam