Re: [squid-users] Cache firefox ok, chrome... not!

From: Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo <nospaze_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 09:37:27 +0100

On Sat, 2010-12-11 at 02:59 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> Second thing I notice is the absence of ETag features for variant identification. Which Squid could use to identify that Chrome wants the
> cached object, or that the 304 response Chrome got is allowed to update the firefox variant's object details.
> Chrome is sending an If-Modified-Since header and the 304 applies to that. So if Squid is behaving properly and not sharing the variants with
> different possible encodings then it has no stored object to replace the firefox variant with and each IMS request will be a MISS.
>
> To test this out there are some permutations that will show if it's working:
>
> - check two Chrome requests in a row. When the browser cache is erased before testing and between requests. (good behaviour: the second is a HIT).

Cool! Clearing cache between requests makes the second a HIT with
chrome!

First request after clearing browser's cache:
1292054351.774 37 127.0.0.1 TCP_MISS/200 617 GET http://www.elpais.com/css/i_portadillas.css? - DIRECT/80.156.250.8 text/css
Second request after clearing browser's cache:
1292054375.498 1 127.0.0.1 TCP_MEM_HIT/200 624 GET http://www.elpais.com/css/i_portadillas.css? - NONE/- text/css

> For a fix:
> Adding ETag support by the web server may fix this or reduce the MISS
> a lot.

Grats, you solved the issue! But I dont want to ask hundreds of sites to
apply the etag to their servers. Isn't there a way of using squid and
chrome and cache gifs, jpgs and css as firefox does? Maybe some obscure
squid ~"please-ignore-evil-etag"~ header? Or should we migrate to
firefox to use caching?

Thanks!
Rodolfo Alcazar Portillo - nospaze_at_gmail.com
otbits.blogspot.com / counter.li.org: #367962
"Ich will Microsoft wirklich nicht zerstören. Das wird nur ein gänzlich
unbeabsichtigter Nebeneffekt sein."
- Linus Torvalds