Re: [squid-users] https to http translation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:04:12 +0000

On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 00:20:23 +0330, purgat wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-12-12 at 14:19 -0600, Luis Daniel Lucio Quiroz wrote:
>> Le dimanche 12 décembre 2010 11:00:43, guest01 a écrit :
>> > Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but have you thought of
>> > using IPSec? You could deploy IPSec and encrypt every connection from
>> > your clients to the Proxy.
>> > I don't know what you are trying to achieve, but if your objective is
>> > to encrypt connections from the Clients to the proxy, IPSec would be
>> > perfectly transparent and scalable.

is

Squid provides https_port for accepting SSL connections from clients.

THE PROBLEM is that browsers do not use it for browser->proxy
communications.

The common examples are all reverse proxy because that is the only way
browsers will play nice and send requests to Squid over SSL.

Squid itself does not fuss over whether the socket is receiving forward or
reverse mode traffic. Only intercepted traffic has any problems on arrival,
and preventing that is why you use SSL right?

Remove the "accel" and related reverse-proxy options from any of the good
tutorial configs, use a certificate having the proxy public domain
name/port and you have a forward-proxy HTTPS listening setup.
"simples"(tm).

Roll up your sleeves then and dig in.
Firefox has an open bug requesting this behaviour be supported. They need
code help and/or incentive by the looks of it.

Amos