Re: [squid-users] Squid load-balancing

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 21:50:43 +0000

On Tue, 14 Dec 2010 17:34:46 +0100, Artemis BRAJA <a.braja_at_primo.al>
wrote:
> Hello, first thanks for your reply.
>
> Are you talking about multiple-instance article or about configuring
> squid with wccp.

Most likely he was referring to:
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale
and/or
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/ExtremeCarpFrontend

Amos

> If so I've checked them a few days ago. The problem is that I started
> both squid's without problems, each listening on different interfaces
> (eth0 and eth1)on port 3128, but only one squid i detected by the
router.
> The first one that is started connects to the router, no matter which
> is, the second does not connect.
> And the strange thing is that the router wccp informations shows only
> one IP, If I start only Squid2 (only eth1) the router shows the IP of
eth0.
> May be it has something to do with gre tunnel configuration. :(

Possibly, this intrigued me when you posted the problem yesterday.
From what I know of WCCP it should work, or at worst result in flapping
IPs in the router details every 15sec or so.

Check that each squid has separate tcp_outgoing_address settings or the
OS/hardware layer is keeping them locked to the NIC. On default outgoing
packets are given an IP by the OS, this appears like it is selecting the
eth0 primary IP.

Amos