Re: [squid-users] Huge Cache / Memory Usage

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 20:56:09 +1300

On 16/12/10 19:19, Sunny wrote:
> Thanks amos,
>
> I agree with all your points above. Here's something more that I
> couldn't find answer anywhere.
>
> 1. in cache_dir Mbs L1 L2 Does L1 L2 still mattes anymore? 16 256 is
> enough or do I have to do something like 64 768 ?

It's very advanced tuning. Still relevant when you are dealing with FS
having limits on the number of objects per folder or when optimizing
disk lookup times down to the level of individual IO CPU cycles.

The defaults are good for up to a couple of GB then doubling a couple of
times should cover a few orders of magnitude more.

> 2. max/min object size? do you have recommendation of these values for
> large cache targeted to reduce internet latency and save bandwidth?

I like not having limits. But thats me. They are useful when tuning
where objects go, ie playing with COSS or varied disk sizes.
Whether or not they are used Squid will balance the directory content.

> 3. more like a suggestion, can we make SQUID not accept HTTP until
> store is loaded and ready to serve? Currently it will just hang there
> resulting client hang too when they are used as parent caches.

Use the -F command line option to do that.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3