Re: [squid-users] How can I rewrite page content?

From: Optimum Wireless Services <wilson_at_optimumwireless.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 07:51:10 -0400

On Thu, 2010-12-16 at 21:21 +1300, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 16/12/10 15:03, Optimum Wireless Services wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I don't know if this is the right place to ask about this issue, if is
> > not then, please apologize.
> >
> > I have a small WISP in my town and I would like to offer free internet
> > service at coffee shops, restaurant, and other public places but, this
> > free service will have its limitations: All pages would have an
> > advertisement or promotion on top just like NetZero used to do in the
> > past. I think this is done with frameset but, don't know how to force
> > this for all the pages.
> >
> > I would like to do this with php/mysql and if the user tries to remove
> > the frame then maybe redirect them to pay per hour/day etc service.
> >
> > I have a linux gateway that runs squid and would like certain ip
> > addresses (free ones) to view pages with this promo on top or even
> > have pop ups from time to time whichever is easier.
> >
> > I've had people tell me it can be done with squid.
> >
> > Can this be done? If so, can you please provide any suggestions?
>

> I seriously suggest you try your hardest to avoid altering the actual
> content. Altering content directly gets you straight into a minefield of
> legal issues with the copyright owners of said web content

Thanks for replying.

I really would like to edit the actual web content at all. I would like
to find a solution where I can have a banner atop of the page (browser)
and have the requested page right underneath the banner.

I don't know if any of you got a chance to use NetZero for free back in
the days when they forced an ad on top just like I would like to do.
Anyone has an idea on how they did that?

> Splash pages are accepted by most clients in this type of situation.
> Which periodically cut the viewing process into a full page of advert
> with a continue link back to the previous request. Look into captive
> portals for how to do this in an easy way with any squid-2.6 or later:
> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Portal/Splash

Splash pages might be an alternative if there isn't a way to do what I
thought can be done.

> Doing anything with the body in Squid requires a separate ICAP service
> or eCAP plugin written specifically to perform the act. This requires
> squid-3.0 pr later (the newer the better).

> You might get away with the frame trick since the original content is
> still available unchanged. Though browser support for frames is a very
> confused area with frame, iframe, script, embed and object all doing the
> same role depending on the browser if it supports sub-frames at all.

I don't mind using CSS for this, it might be a lot easier.