Re: [squid-users] Two node squid reverse proxy

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 11:39:56 +1300

On 20/12/10 05:05, N3O wrote:
> Thanks for the reply amos.
> I'm a total newbie to this kind of configuration, could you give me an
> example of using cache_peer sibling statement?

How-to and FAQ details are documented here:
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/CacheHierarchy

With the detailed docs for the config option here:
  http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/cache_peer/

> also what options do i have to implement the LB before it goes to the
> chosen squid server?? have in mind again i'm a total newbie regarding
> this type of secenario...

I can't answer this one without knowledge of the LB your are going to
use. Thus my initial question:
>> What sort of capabilities do you have around the network to do that LB?

> Thank you!
>

> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 4:52 AM, Amos Jeffries<squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 19/12/10 11:51, N3O wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi
>>> Does anyone know how to implement a two node squid reverse proxy??
>>> My idea is to have 2 squid servers working as reverse proxy to an internal
>>> apache web server. The two node should do some kind of load balance
>>> between them.
>>
>> What sort of capabilities do you have around the network to do that LB?
>> LB must be done before the request enters into the worker squid. (could be a
>> hardware LB, some software scripts, routing rules or another proxy).
>>
>> For surety once a request enters either of the worker squid it may as well
>> be processed by that one. The only benefit of sibling links is when the data
>> is cached in the sibling for fast retrieval. Double-handling is a problem.
>>
>>> So a simple design would be:
>>> internet
>>> |

>>> LB
>>> squid1 -- squid2
>>> \ /
>>> \ /
>>> \ /
>>> apache
>>> Which would be the best idea to implement this scenario?
>>> Thanks!
>>
>> There is nothing special involved.
>>
>> 1) Setup each node as a reverse-proxy separately with whatever handling is
>> appropriate for your needs.
>> 2) Test that works.
>>
>> 3) Add the cache_peer sibling link between.
>> 4) Test that works.
>>
>> 5) setup the LB to pass requests between them with whatever balance you
>> like.

Amos

--
Please be using