Re: [squid-users] How to use cbq

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 00:35:53 +0000

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 23:57 +0100, lupuscramus wrote:
> > Looks right for the Squid part.
> >
> > Also check that Squid was built with the netfilter-conntrack library and
> > the QoS feature enabled.
> > --enable-zph-qos --with-netfilter-conntrack
> >
> > when not explicitly specified for ./configure the feature support is at
> > the mercy of the automatics and may be disabled relatively silently if
> > required system pieces are missing.

That reminds me, I was going to have a further look at this, because if
LIBCAP isn't present but netfilter-conntrack is, then the features get
built but just "don't work". There should probably be a warning either
when compiling or when running.

> > iptables should have something to track packet markings with.
>
> I've recompiled squid with the missed options, and in the iptables logs I can
> see the packets are marked.
>
> For information, if someone want to know how verify if the packets are marked
> :
>
> iptables -A OUTPUT -j LOG
> iptables -A INPUT -j LOG
> iptables -A FORWARD -j LOG
> cat /var/log/kern.log
>
> So, the problem comes from tc, not squid.
>
> > I'm not familiar with the specific tc configuration to help further sorry.
>
> Do you know someone who managed to use the squid marked packets
> to make a QoS based on ip source with classful queuing ? (cbq, htb)

Yes, I do this. For an example you could have a look at my website. It
is out of date and probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it
would probably give you an idea:

http://www.andybev.com/index.php/Fair_traffic_shaping_an_ADSL_line_for_a_local_network_using_Linux

HTB is a tricky beast. There is information out there, but sometimes
need to look hard.

> Or do you know where I can ask help ? It seems the LARTC mailing-list is dead.

The netfilter mailing lists are the places to ask. The LARTC mailing
list unfortunately seemed to become unused a couple of years back.

Andy