Re: [squid-users] [HELP] As times passed, web browser didn't open.

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:54:49 +1300

On 24/12/10 03:38, Seok Jiwoo wrote:
> Dear all,
> I have several problems of squid-cache server.
>
> Firstly, the symptoms are
> o at first when I installed squid, it worked well as cache-server.
> o but as times passed, web browser didn't open.
> - there're some kinds of error messages.
> - one is 'time out'
> - the other is 'your proxy have some problems.'
> - and so on..
> o I had had veeeery loooooong access time.(when I checked 'access.log' file)
> o eventually, squid server dosen't work when I give the command, '
> squid -X or -D or start'.
>
> I already did
> o use [squid -k rotate] and rotated log-files.
> o it didn't work.
>
> My squid-cache is squid-3.0.STABLE25-1.el5 and the OS is the RedHat 5-64bit.
>
> I installed squid and set up 'squid.conf' file as below.
>
> o visible_hostname localhost
> o http_port 3128
> o cache_dir ufs /web-cache/cache1 100000 16 256
> cache_dir ufs /web-cache/cache2 100000 16 256
> cache_dir ufs /web-cache/cache3 100000 16 256

300GB of cache. I hope you have well over 4GB of RAM on that box
dedicated to Squid. ~3GB of it will be sucked up by the disk index.

Add cache_mem on top of that, add another 10% of cache_mem for the index
of that space, and then add about 64KB for you maximum peak client count.

> o access_log /log/squid/access.log squid
> o cache_log /log/squid/cache.log
> o store_log /log/squid/store.log

You can drop store log under normal use, its not that useful unless
debugging the storage:
  cache_store_log none

> o logfile_rotate 9 ( and /etc/logrotate.d/squid file has been reviesed.)

By "reviesed" I hope you mean erased. logrotate.d and squid internal log
rotation do not work well together. Pick one.

> o shutdown_lifetime 1 seconds

Large cache + extremely short shutdown period = cache corruption.
Squid will handle it by doing a full scan of the entire disk space on
startup to reload all the meta data from scratch. This is a period of
slow proxy speed while it dedicates CPU cycles for the scan.
  When your 300GB of cache is full this will likely take somewhere
between 4 and 10 hours to complete.

Things to check:
  * memory usage is not swapping. This will cause squid to significantly
drop in speed.
  * check for crashes or other problems in cache.log. Note the 4-10 hour
recovery time loading the index after each crash will be a slow period.

On top of that 3.0 is obsolete for nrearly a year now. There are a
number of fatal bugs and leaks which are resolved in later releases.
  Some newer packages can be found linked from
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/RedHat. These still have some
of the leaks only recently fixed but should be better than 3.0 on bugs.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.3