Re: [squid-users] How to use cbq

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2010 23:56:56 +0000

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 19:05 +0100, lupuscramus wrote:
> > > Do you know someone who managed to use the squid marked packets
> > > to make a QoS based on ip source with classful queuing ? (cbq, htb)
> >
> > Yes, I do this. For an example you could have a look at my website. It
> > is out of date and probably not exactly what you are looking for, but it
> > would probably give you an idea:
> >
> > http://www.andybev.com/index.php/Fair_traffic_shaping_an_ADSL_line_for_a_lo
> > cal_network_using_Linux
> >
> On your website I don't see where you use Squid to mark packets.

Sorry, it's just an example of using HTB, I've not updated it yet with
my current Squid rules.

> Hum, I've
> noticed something : when i make
> tc class show dev eth0
> I can see there are packets which pass by the class I want : they are packets
> marked by Squid : the source is the proxy and the destination is the web
> server. They represent a little proportion of packets between my user and my
> web server (there is mainly download with HTTP)
>
> However, I want to limit the download rate : packets from web server to proxy
> server.

I'm a bit confused. Can you produce a diagram of your setup? Is your web
server on a different server to Squid? If you want to limit packets *to*
Squid, then you will need to set up HTB on the interface going to Squid
(you might need to use IFB) *or* rate limit the packets going *from*
Squid on the other interface to the one you are using now.

> Is there a way to do this ? Was the feature written for this ?

Please provide some more info of your setup and I'll have a look.

Andy