Re: [squid-users] prevent squid being used as spam passthrough

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 09:36:15 +1300

On 27/12/10 09:23, J Webster wrote:
> Is it possible for a proxy running on port 80 or 8080 to be used as a
> pass through or zone origination for spam email?

Maybe. If it has been configured as an open proxy.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/SecurityPitfalls

> We have had some users sign up with email addresses such as spambot and
> other stuff recently. I suspect these are just bots signing up around
> the web but got me thinking whether a proxy could be used in a chain or
> tunneled somehow and whether that could be blocked?

The default squid.conf http_access controls are designed to prevent this
type of thing.

It requires Safe_ports to list only the ports <1024 which are nown to be
safe for proxy connections-to. As well as SSL_ports for CONNECT tunnels
to only connect to known HTTPS ports.

You can see the quid default settings at
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ConfiguringSquid#Squid_configuration

Amos

--
Please be using