[squid-users] Proxy server consolidation

From: Colin Coe <colin.coe_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 10:45:03 +0800

Hi all

I'm currently redesigning an environment I've inherited. The
environment consists of two main sites with limited replication. Each
site is effectively a replica of the other.

The environment was built with four proxy servers at each site (so
eight in total) with 2 being forwarding proxies and two being reverse
proxies. I'd like to consolidate these into either a single proxy or
a HA cluster of two proxies at each site, I'm still deciding. The
current platform is RHEL5 (squid 2.6), the new platform will likely be
RHEL6 (squid 3.1.4).

My squid fu is weak and as both reverse proxies have

https_port 80 defaultsite=server1.company.com
key=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.key
cert=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.crt protocol=http
https_port 443 defaultsite=server1.company.com
key=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.key
cert=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.crt protocol=https

and

http_port 80 defaultsite=server2.company.com
https_port 443 defaultsite=server2.company.com
key=/etc/ssl/server2.company.com.key
cert=/etc/ssl/server2.company.com.crt protocol=http

I've no idea if the consolidation is possible or not.

I've searched the archive and googled but not seen anything to tell me
if I can do this.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CC