[squid-users] Dealing with HTTP redirects from server on HTTPs proxy

From: <r.cazenave_at_free.fr>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 20:03:25 +0100 (CET)

Dear all,

I am facing an issue with Squid configuration for which hopefully you will be able to help.

The web server is using http only and is sending redirection (HTTP messages 302) towards its full URL, as in http://172.16.28.43:3080/site/redirect_login.do.

Squid proxy (v3) is configured as reverse proxy to handle only HTTPS request from clients (actually any other ports than 443 are blocked by in-between firewall).

The proxy is working as expected and is correctly handling clients requests and is replacing in server redirects the IP address:port by its own address and thus client receives the following: 302:http://mydomain.com/site/redirect_login.do.

The remaining issue for which I am seeking help is protocol, I would like that http:// is translated to https:// by squid proxy. Without this, the client is then trying to connect to port 80 using http which is discarded by the firewall. I have tried redirector programs but it is not working (I suppose it translates only requests from client).

Maybe a schema will clarify architecture:

Server <--http(3080)--> Squid reverse Proxy <---https(443)--|firewall|--https(443)---> client

Any idea ?

Thank you in advance,
Best Regards,

RĂ©mi CAZENAVE