[squid-users] Re: Squid in Transparent mode and CONNECT

From: Roberto Franchesco <robfranchesco_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2011 16:14:26 -0500

Okay, I understand now.

In transparent mode--squid has no way of handling the SSL traffic
unless it was to serve as a Man-in-the-Middle.

The only way Squid can see SSL as CONNECT traffic is if the client
browsers were aware of the fact that they are sending to a proxy, in
which case they would wrap the SSL inside an HTTP CONNECT.

So basically, unless you can configure all the clients to trust your
proxy's certificates, then theres no way to have a transparent SSL
proxy.