Re: [squid-users] Proxy server consolidation

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 08 Jan 2011 13:40:31 +1300

On 29/12/10 15:45, Colin Coe wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm currently redesigning an environment I've inherited. The
> environment consists of two main sites with limited replication. Each
> site is effectively a replica of the other.
>
> The environment was built with four proxy servers at each site (so
> eight in total) with 2 being forwarding proxies and two being reverse
> proxies. I'd like to consolidate these into either a single proxy or
> a HA cluster of two proxies at each site, I'm still deciding. The
> current platform is RHEL5 (squid 2.6), the new platform will likely be
> RHEL6 (squid 3.1.4).
>
> My squid fu is weak and as both reverse proxies have
>
> https_port 80 defaultsite=server1.company.com
> key=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.key
> cert=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.crt protocol=http
> https_port 443 defaultsite=server1.company.com
> key=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.key
> cert=/etc/ssl/server1.company.com.crt protocol=https
>
> and
>
> http_port 80 defaultsite=server2.company.com
> https_port 443 defaultsite=server2.company.com
> key=/etc/ssl/server2.company.com.key
> cert=/etc/ssl/server2.company.com.crt protocol=http
>
> I've no idea if the consolidation is possible or not.
>
> I've searched the archive and googled but not seen anything to tell me
> if I can do this.
>
> Any ideas?

At a minimum add the "accel vhost" options to those http_port and check
the rest of the config logics are based on dstdomain.
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Reverse/VirtualHosting

Whether they are combinable after that will depend on the client
software visitig. If they are HTTP/1.1 compliant enough to send Host:
header you can (most do).

The forward-proxy can be merged in easily (with squid-2.6 or later) as
long as care is taken to place the forward-proxy config later in the
config file than the reverse-proxy config. The difference may be that
the forward proxy traffic reduces the caching efficiency overall which
the reverse-proxy sees.

Amos

--
Please be using