[squid-users] negotiate auth scheme confusing windows users

From: Brian J. Murrell <brian_at_interlinx.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 19:16:41 +0000 (UTC)

I have the following configured for authentication in my squid 3.1.1 server:

auth_param negotiate program /usr/lib/squid3/squid_kerb_auth
auth_param negotiate children 10
auth_param negotiate keep_alive on
auth_param basic program /usr/lib/squid3/pam_auth
auth_param basic children 3
auth_param basic realm Squid proxy-caching web server
auth_param basic credentialsttl 2 hours
auth_param basic casesensitive off

Which works just fine in my all-linux-and-firefox-and-chromium network.

Every now and then though a Windows (7) user comes into the network and for
whatever reason proxy authentication doesn't work on those nodes.

My guess is that windows is trying to do Negotiate authentication but squid is
not able to understand what it's sending. Am I close? Any solutions?

Cheers,
b.