[squid-users] Configuration - Reverse Proxy using internal DNS

From: Tim Hill <doco_at_cafeboot.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 19:12:17 +1300

Hi
        I have been reading through the configuration examples and guides for
the last week since taking the very rash decision to upgrade Squid to
version 3 while building a replacement router/firewall box.

     The current machine runs happily under squid 2.4 - using squid to
provide routing to the internal web servers.

        What I am unable to find is a config for Squid 3 that replicates the
way I have been running squid.

        External connections to the websites are collected in squid, which then
uses the host header to internal DNS where the web server is. The web
servers are all on private IP addresses and only accessible from the
outside world via squid.

        The network looks something like this.

        Internet => Squid ---- Internal DNS (private)

                web01 <====> web02

        I have been unable to figure out a configuration that works in this manner.
        I'd like to also control access so that only websites that are local IP
addresses in the internal DNS are proxied.

        At the moment I cannot see a way of getting squid to ask a DNS server
for host location in reverse proxy mode, nor of setting up a subnet as
allowed addresses to proxy ( eg 192.168.1.0/24 )

        The reasons behind wanting to work this way is to remove the need for
editing the squid config every time a new website is enabled or the
server the site is on is changed. When a change is made, all that needs
updating is the internal private DNS server.

        Thanks in advance for the assistance of the list members.

        Tim