Re: [squid-users] store_dir_select_algorithm

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 03:02:35 +1300

On 14/01/11 02:29, Robert Pipca wrote:
> Hi Mr. Jeffreis,
>
> 2011/1/13 Amos Jeffries<squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>:
>> http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/RAID
>>
>> see the section on what RAID-0 does to Squid.
>
> Right, I did read it.
>
> But the machine that I'm talking about can't be taken down for this
> change....although new ones (I'll be installing 2 more next week) will
> go as JBOD.
>
>>> I've been reading on how I can improve performance on peak hours, and
>>> I'm considering spreading on a few cache_dirs with:
>>
>> Do it. Converting the RAID-0 into single-disk cache_dir will get you some
>> performance gain all by itself.
>
> Great!
>
> But in this RAID-0 machine...if I create 2 other cache_dirs will squid
> take advantage of it?

Hard to say. I have not tried multiple dir on on RAID-0. The benefit
comes from having the physical device logics and hardware pretty much
dedicated to the cache_dir IO threads(s).

Worth a try if you have downtime waiting for the JBOD machines. You may
see some small benefit and it should only cost a few seconds downtime to
reconfigure.

Amos

--
Please be using