RE: [squid-users] Squid 3.x very slow loading on ireport.cnn.com

From: Max Feil <mfeil_at_qnx.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 02:50:25 -0500

Thanks. I am looking at the squid access.log and the delay is caused by
a GET which for some reason does not result in a response from the
server. Either there is no response or Squid is missing the response.
After a 120 second time-out the page continues loading, but the end
result may be malformed due to the object which did not load.

The error object is different every time and seems random! So the page
never loads properly with Squid 3.x and takes about 125 seconds to load.
It always loads properly without Squid and takes about 5 seconds to
load. It always loads properly using Squid 2.7 and takes about 5 seconds
to load.

For consistency in tracking the problem down, I have Squid's disk and
memory caches disabled so every client request is a "cache miss".

Strange eh?

Max

P.S. I am debugging natively on my Ubuntu 10.10 64 bit laptop using
Firefox, but the original problem comes from an embedded device running
the QNX RTOS using a libcurl based WebKit browser (both the browser and
Squid are running on 127.0.0.1 in each case, but this problem happens
across the network as well).