RE: [squid-users] Squid 3.x very slow loading on ireport.cnn.com

From: Max Feil <mfeil_at_qnx.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 23:35:59 -0500

Already did use Wireshark. Here is some more info:

If you look through the traces you'll notice that at some point Squid sends a TCP [FIN, ACK] right in the middle of a connection for seemingly no reason. (Attempting to close the connection) The server ignores this and sends the rest of the data, which Squid responds to with TCP RST (request to reset) since it now believes the connection to be closed.

From the browser side it seems to be given no notification that the connection was closed (and indeed I can see no reason why it should be closed) so it seems to sit around doing nothing as it may have reached the max connections limit. After about 2 minutes (possibly related to a persistent connection timeout limit in squid) Squid seems to terminate all the connections with FIN,ACKs. The browser then seems to realize its connections are gone and it requests the remaining resources resulting in a bunch of TCP SYNs followed by the rest of the resources.

Why it does this in the middle of connections we still have no clue, however turning off server_persistent_connections seems to make it load fast. However this is probably a bad idea in general...

Max