Re: [squid-users] yoube-URLs

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 23:13:38 +1300

On 26/01/11 22:32, John Doe wrote:
>> For example access to this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLSFcF8SOiw
>> with an entry in the url_regex-whitelist like this:
>> youtube.com/watch?v=aLSFcF8SOiw
>
>> This does not work, I get no access to the video. I´ve now seen, that if I
>> access to youtube, the log entry in the access log only contains a shot url
>> without the ID of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
>> After I´ve deleted the Video-ID in the whitlist, the access to the whole
>> youtube-site works, so the whitelist and the configuration of squid works.
>> Has anyone an idea, why squid ignores the video-ID in urls, even in the
>> access.log ?
>
> maybe you have strip_query_terms on...

Or the regex match is doing what you configured instead of what you want.

"?" and "." are a reserved characters in regex code syntax.

... "." code will be replaced with any character, so it will match
text-"." silently and appear to be working even when unrelated problems
are caused.

... "?" code will compact down to nothing. So will not match a URL
containing text-"?" at the same position.

Also, the youtube "watch?" URLs are just human usable short links. The
real video is at a completely different URL.
   http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/DynamicContent/YouTube has
more background on that.

Amos

--