[squid-users] Content filtering (aka SafeSearch) using Squirm URL rewriting

From: Leonardo <leonardodiserpierodavinci_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2011 15:59:09 +0100

Dear all,

I have a working install of Squid 3.1.7 with Squirm 1.0-BetaB, which
provides URL rewriting. The Squid proxy is used in a school
environment and we'd like to use Squirm to block adult-oriented search
results.
So far, the only search engine I discovered doing that is Google,
which can be set to SafeSearch by appending `&safe=active' to the
search URL.
Other search engines like Yahoo!Search, Bing, Altavista, and Ask seem
to provide SafeSearch just as a client-enabled setting (which is not
only impossible to manage in a centralized way, but can also easily be
bypassed by the user).
Anyone of you has successfully managed to use Squid+Squirm to enforce
SafeSearch, and/or happen to know the URL parameters for other search
engines?

Thanks in advance,

Leonardo