[squid-users] Connection Pinning in 3.1.x

From: Michael Hendrie <michael_at_hendrie.id.au>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:20:45 +1030

Hello List,

I need to use a version with connection pinning and was hoping to use 3.1.10 but I've run into a problem using a cache_peer that requires NTLM authentication. In my tests I'm able to get 3 authenticated requests through the parent (access.log on parent shows they have been authenticated) before the client starts to receive a pop-up to enter credentials. In the test, child and parent are on the same LAN segment so there is nothing in between doing any port translations, etc.

The relevant parts of my config:

cache_peer 172.16.50.45 parent 8080 0 no-query proxy-only default login=PASS
never_direct allow all
persistent_connection_after_error on

I have also tried adding "connection-auth=on" to both the cache_peer and http_port directives but this hasn't helped the situation.

Testing with squid-2.7STABLE9 doesn't show the above issue, connection pinning seems to work perfectly to the parent proxy. I have also tried 3.1.9 and 3.1.8 in case it was something that was unexpectedly introduced in the latest version but they fail also.

I should point out that in my tests using 3.1.x talking to an origin server requiring NTLM works perfectly, only to a cache_peer fails.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is failing, or a 3.1.x talking to an NTLM parent and if so could you please share your exact 3.1.x version and relevant config.

Thanks
Mick