RE: [squid-users] Squid 3.1 youtube caching

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 05:19:03 +0000

On Thu, 3 Feb 2011 10:03:03 +0530, Saurabh Agarwal
<Saurabh.Agarwal_at_citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis
>
> I have recently successfully cached youtube videos using
Squid-2.7.Stable7
> and posted the solution on squid mailing list as well. I tested it
> yesterday and youtube videos were still being cached.

AFAICT your 23rd Nov 2010 posted configuration differs from the wiki
example by:
 * passing every single URL passing through your proxy goes to the
storeurl program (not just the relevant YT URLs)
 * ignoring updates and changes to the HTML pages (forcing people to think
profiles are not being updated etc)
 * ignoring users force-refresh (so that if somebody does notice a page
problem caused by the above they can't manually force the cache to update
the page)

None of these have any obvious or explained reasons relating to the .FLV
video which is the only relevant piece to be de-duplicated.

Your re-writer adds two interesting URLs to the altered pot.

 * If that generate_204 is what I think then you are preventing users from
fast-forwarding videos, forcing them to re-download the entire thing from
cache if they try.

 * the "docid=" pages. Can you explain what those are and how their URLs
result in a .FLV object response?

I'm ignoring the 10th Nov and 1st Nov and April and July and August
configurations because YT change their URLs occasionally. That is the point
of using the wiki to publish latest details instead of a long-term mailing
list.

 If you find the wiki setup is not working please get yourself an editing
account and add a message to the *Discussion* page outlining the YT
operations which are being missed and what changes will catch them. When
somebody can independently verify their success we add the changes to the
main config.

> For Squid3.1 I have
> not tried yet.

3.x do not yet have the storeurl feature these hacks all rely upon.

Amos