Re: [squid-users] squid reduce Bandwidth?

From: Senthilkumar <senthilkumaar2021_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 09:50:39 +0530

Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 05/02/11 22:44, Senthilkumar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Current network topology
>> Internet----squid------bandwidthMonitor-----clients.
>>
>> The squid is configured as transparent proxy.
>> squid version: 2.7stable6
>>
>> We are seeing an average upstream bandwidth of 5 mbps and download
>> bandwidth of 25 mbps over a day on the bandwidth monitor when the
>> network traffic is by-passed through squid box (ie., without transparent
>> redirection). Where as when the traffic goes via squid we are only
>> seeing 4 mpbs upstream and 20 mbps downstream. We have tested this over
>> several days and clearly seeing this difference.
>>
>> Will having squid in the above topology reduce the bandwidth? The only
>> reason we see is, most of the client request will be HTTP/1.1 and squid
>> will only make HTTP/1.0 on the server side
>
> Possibly, but requires special configuration for 2.7 to use HTTP/1.1.
>
> I'm inclined to suspect non-HTTP traffic being pushed through port 80.
> Squid will break those connections before any bandwidth gets consumed
> by them.
>
> Amos

Thank you Amos,

We have tried by enabling "server_http11 on" in squid.conf but no
luck. In the access log for we can see lot of TCP_MISS/000.
In the iptables we have used the following rule "/sbin/iptables -t nat
-A PREROUTING -p tcp --dport 80 -j REDIRECT --to-port 3128"
Can you suggest how to check traffic other than port 80 is pushed
through squid and make only port 80 to pass through?

Thanks.
Senthil