Re: [squid-users] tproxy on wccpv2 vs triangle routing

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:03:44 +1300

 On Tue, 15 Feb 2011 11:36:42 +0800, jiluspo wrote:
> would still be policy based routing(if thats what its called) wins if
> this squidbox uses single ethernet vs single-ethernet(i guess its
> single only) wccp tproxy?

 Number of NIC on the squid box does not matter. WCCP will not stop
 being a tunnel.

> in squidbox we could use a private ip subnet since its tproxy then it
> would have no problem if clients are using public ips?

 IPs on the squidbox are not relevant. They are not used in TPROXY.

> then a router would need a 3 ethernet port?

 It is far easier to manage with 3 NIC, but two is also possible.

 TPROXY works nicely when squid is running:
  * directly on a gateway bridge
  * directly on a gateway router
  * on a dedicated NIC hanging off a gateway router

 With a little MAC address difficulty and doubling the bandwidth hit on
 one of the router NIC you can also run it on either side of a 2-NIC
 router (but must be directly connected to a switch the router has on
 that NIC).

 Amos