Re: [squid-users] Strange and Weird configurations (Real: Load balancing)

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 23:47:32 +1300

On 16/02/11 23:00, squid_at_sourcesystemsonline.com wrote:
> Example: Splitting uploads and downloads between two ISP links
>
> acl download method GET HEAD
> acl upload method POST PUT
>
> # IP used by link for downloads
> tcp_outgoing_address 192.0.2.1 download
>
> # IP used by link for uploads
> tcp_outgoing_address 192.0.2.2 upload
>

> I am using squid 2.7 STABLE8 on Windows 7 Platform.
> I have two internet access links: link A with limited bandwidth (Data Cap)
> and link B with unlimited bandwidth (Data Cap). i will like to implement
> the above configuration example "Splitting uploads and downloads between
> two ISP links" so that my download and upload requests will go through
> link B while other http requests and related requests go through link A,
> is it possible?

In theory yes. Test it and see for certain.

> I notice that link A uses static IP while link B uses dynamic IP but the
> two links have static DNS. Hence, in the sample above which address i am
> going to use for tcp_0utgoing_address(es), is it their DNS or the client
> IP?
> If it is client IP, how can i implement the dynamic IP for link B since it
> is ever changing?

You can't do it that way then.

You can only set the dynamic interface as the system default (may or mat
not be a good thing) and leave the traffic destined out it as undefined
outgoing address.

> Suppose link B is down or slow what happen to my download and upload
> requests and if link A is down or slow what happen to my http and http
> related requests?

They might go out the OS default interface or die horribly with a
connection failed or leave and never get a response packet back.

Squid as no knowledge or control over which NIC is actually used, all it
is doing is setting the packet source IP. What happens afterwards is
entirely up to the network routing systems.

You can possibly also use tcp_outgoing_tos to further influence the
routing decision.

Amos

--
Please be using