Re: [squid-users] Re: kerberos authentication - performance tuning

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:32:51 +1300

 On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:28:29 +0100, guest01 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We had to bypass the kerberos authentication for now (most of the
> users will be authenticated by IP (there are already more than 10000
> unique IPs in my Squid logs). iirc, disabling the replay cache did
> not
> help much. There is a load avg of 0.4 right now (authenticating about
> 9000 users per IP and 1000 with Kerberos) with approx 450 RPS (2
> strong servers), which looks pretty good.
>
> What do you think? Can SMP functionality of Squid 3.2 reduce our load
> problem significantly? At the moment, we have multiple independent
> squid processes per server (4 squid instances, 16 cpus), but I don't
> see any way (except adding more hardware) to authenticate >10000 with
> Kerberos.

 SMP will help with the management of those 4 instances on each machine,
 dropping it to one config file they all work from and one SNMP contact
 port one cachemgr contact port etc.
 But I think total load, helper process count and cache duplication
 problems will remain unchanged with the current SMP capabilities.

 Amos