[squid-users] Problems with Windows 7/Winhttp and Squid Proxy

From: Henickl Wolfgang <Wolfgang.Henickl_at_apa.at>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 11:03:46 +0100

Good morning,
I have a strange Problem. A Winhttp Application is run over a squid proxy with NTLM activated. On Windows XP PCs I see a correct NTLM "handshake" up to NTLMSSP_CHALLENGE with correct response.
On Windows 7 PCs I see the same Trace with the exception, that the TCP connection is closed on receiving the NTLMSSP_CHALLENGE and the response is send on a new TCP connection. The problem seems now that the NTLMSSP_CHALLENGE was send with UNICODE=1, the response is sent therefore in UNICODE (UTF16), but the Proxy lost the information that UNICODE was requested, therefore the Response is not accepted.
I have seen in the MSDN that the WinHTTP Api has changed a bit with Vista SP2, but didn't found a clue what could cause this different behaviour.

Do you know of such a Problem, and if so, how to fix it?

kind regards
Wolfgang