Re: [squid-users] Squid ESI support

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 10:13:44 +1300

 On Mon, 21 Feb 2011 16:52:48 -0200, N3O wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm planning to install a reverse proxy server with squid but one of
> the requisites is that it
> should have ESI support.
> Questions
> Does squid have ESI support? is it good?

 Yes, in Squid-3. It works pretty well in 3.1+, 3.0 works in a dedicated
 binary but does not interact nicely with several other proxy features.

 The initial sponsors saw the core parts of the protocol to completion,
 so that all works great with only an occasional bug. But some of the
 more complex pieces are not supported and/or noticeably buggy. The squid
 bugzilla has the list of known issues.

> How do i configure ESI support in squid??

 Depends on your version. Ensure that --enable-esi is built in with XML
 libraries.
 Once that is done Squid will auto-magically start advertising the
 relevant Surrogate-Capabilities to the origins. The server response type
 determines whether it is processed or not.

> Are there any links to examples or tutorials of ESI configuration in
> squid??

 Very few unfortunately certainly nothing comprehensive. W3C specs have
 some good examples. http://www.w3.org/TR/esi-lang. But like HTML, the
 devil is in the details of how you structure the XML tags in the ESI
 page object and what caching controls you place on the raw original
 objects.

 Wikipedia has a list of common tools like Drupal and Zope which you can
 use to play with it
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edge_Side_Includes

 Amos