Re: [squid-users] Squid appliance?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2011 00:05:35 +1300

On 23/02/11 19:46, Eliezer wrote:
> Thanks amos.
>

> was very helpful
>

> well if you do ask me i think i know the reasons cause i have seen the
> traffic logs
> at my work place (some ISP) and some rules sets that people published on
> the net.
>

> also i wanted to ask about the squid-appliance plan development.
>

> im not really a developer but it seems like a basic installation script
> can be done very easily to configure or\and install proxy with
> on and off triggers or basic selection.
>

> also i have seen that Turnkey-linux has a nice "patch" for their core
> appliance to install cache and filtering using squid3,
> changed easily to other squid versions.
>

> http://www.turnkeylinux.org/forum/general/20100920/tklpatch-web-filter-proxy
>

> a nice thing they have is the TLK config menu based on perl i think that
> can be configured to match squid installation\config tool.
>

> their core is 110-150 MB installation footprint gets updates and other
> stuff so it seems nice as a candidate.
>

> the only thing i have seen is that my debian as a cache server is using
> less cpu and less ram.
>

> I was thinking of taking the time and to try to work on a basic
> installation and if i will see that i am managing to make it more than
> just installation.
>

> Regards Eliezer

Yes we do try to make Squid as easy to use as possible, despite
appearances in places.

  The appliance side, there are a number around. The Squid site has a
list of software and products based around Squid. Many of these have
appliance versions around as well. Some are old and based on squid-2.5
which I have not been able to find recent upgraded versions of. Some are
more recently active, using 2.7 or 3.x series Squid.

The distro packaged versions of Squid are trivial in some cases to setup
and have various configurators if a few lines of config are to much to
handle. Webmin is the more popular opensource one, though there are a
few proprietary config management utilities that support Squid.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5