Re: [squid-users] Disk space for two node squid

From: Pieter De Wit <pieter_at_insync.za.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:15:02 +1300

On 25/02/2011 06:04, N3O wrote:
> Hi
>
> I want to create a 2-node squid reverse caching layer for an apache
> server that has these features:
>
> - 2 Xeon@ 2GHz
> - 2 GB RAM
> - 72GB HD RAID1
> - RHEL with Kernel 2.6.9
> - 1 EXT3 filesystem
>
> Traffic is a million visits/month
>
> My question is, how much disk space should i allocate for caching data
> on the squid nodes?
> my idea is to use amazon Ec2 instances for them, but i dont know how
> much disk space should
> i use for caching data under this scenario...
>
> Any recomendation will be welcomed!
>
> Greetings

Hi,

How big is the static content on your website ? I would start with a
minimum of that, unless you have gig's and gig's of static content that
might be viewed once or twice a year. I would not go less than 5 gig
tho. It might sound like a little bit, but you will be very surprised
how much you can fit in 5gig, web wise, and how well Squid handles all
of that.

Cheers,

Pieter