Re: [squid-users] what does this warning means?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2011 23:46:10 +1300

On 25/02/11 22:39, Gontzal wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> I always have this messages on my cache.log, but i've never been
> worried about them, it is just curiosity to know what this means and
> if I can solve it:
>
> The message is:
>
> 2011/02/25 09:53:53| WARNING: HTTP header contains NULL characters
> {Accept: */*^M

Exactly what is says. The HTTP headers contain a NULL character.
Older Squid will only display one {} section with the NULL byte being
right after the last displayed character. 3.x will display two {}
sections with the text "NULL" in between to indicate the problem better.

Squid should be aborting the request unanswered and closing the TCP link
involved. This is sign of an attack on the HTTP service, although it can
be done by badly broken software unintentionally.

In this case the Content-Type indicates the headers came from some
client agent. I don't think its a browser since they are usually sending
correct HTTP requests.

If you have time it is worth tracking down where these come from and
seeing what can be done to fix the source.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5