Re: [squid-users] Reverse proxy: quota limit by IP

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 15:07:20 +1300

 On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 18:14:45 -0300, Vincent BLANQUE wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I would like to limit the connection to my webserver defining
> policies
> relative to the data volume downloaded and the time connection by
> IP/by month. Do you think it is possible to implement it with Squid
> as
> a reverse proxy? Is it easy?

 No. Squid is not a good place to define quotas.

> My server run with Django. As the user need to be authentified maybe
> it s a best solution to define a time limit thru the time session,
> but
> for the data volume downloaded?
>
> thx,
>
> Vincent

 The main purposes for having squid as reverse-proxy is to reduce
 backend volume and add scalability. Placing quotas voids both of those
 benefits.

 Also, to complicate matters HTTP is stateless and the concept of time
 in squid is dynamic. So sessions do not exist.

 The best way to run quotas is with an external system that keeps track
 or requests and updates visitors permissions live. Squid can integrate
 with such a system using its streaming access_log modules and
 external_acl_type ACLs.

 Amos