Re: [squid-users] squid_ldap_auth - Thousands of Requests

From: Paul <news_at_pointdee.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2011 13:57:46 +0000

> > The "squid_ldap_auth:" lines are coming from the helper. The problems
> > is exactly as stated, the LDAP server is not answering connection
> > requests.
> >
> > The "commBind:" lines are from squid itself. Squid-2 always uses
> > bind(), even if there is no address being bound. That message
> > indicates there is no socket available to be dedicated on the link or
> > the stack is getting confused.
> >
> > It seems like your kernel or networking is not able to cope with the
> > number of TCP sockets those thousands of requests are needing to use.

I maybe should have made it clearer that these are hundreds of requests
per second. I can easily understand how a part of the overall process is
getting overloaded with this rate of traffic however I have only 150
users and this is a new problem. I've been running with the same config
for the last 3 months or so

> > Check some of the HTTP headers arriving into Squid. Base-64 decoding
> > the "random" letter string on the Proxy-Authorization: should come on
> > up with "username:password". If the username is actually missing it is
> > probably malicious.
> >
> > For these auth symptoms on a forward proxy it would be suspicious
> > stuff coming out of the LAN to look for. Infected clients, broken
> > software becoming popular, etc.
> >

> > Amos

Malicious/viral was/is my suspicion but as yet I can't find anything in
the tcpdump to indicate the problem machine. The username in the LDAP
query is definitely blank and I'm only seeing the LDAP requests without
a corresponding inbound auth attempt/get/connect etc. My machines are
all fully patched and have current up-to-date anti-virus so I'm kind of
at a loss. The problem does go away as my users go home and comes back
the following day which also indicates malicious/viral so I guess I'll
have to just try to isolate them into smaller groups to try and narrow
it down

If you have any other suggestions please let me know

Thanks

Paul