[squid-users] work on partition used for cache dir

From: Víctor José Hernández Gómez <vjhergom_at_cic.upo.es>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 14:32:14 +0100

Hi all,

I had planned some work on the ext3 partition used for cache data in our
squid 3.1.11 instalation, which should be unomunted and mounted after
some filesystem parameters modifications.

So I thought it could work the following

  1. comment cache_dir line on squid.conf
  2. add cache deny all
  3. (reconfigure) squid -k reconfigure

(so users could navigate and ...) If squid is not using cache data at
all, then I could modify ext3 params on the partition...

  4. work on partition
  5. umount partition
  6. mount
  7. undo changes on squid.conf and reconfigure

This was not the case, as before I tried to unmount the partition squid
still was using swap.state file ... (lsof /partition warned me), so I
had to undo the work on partition and undo changes on squid.conf...

What asumption was wrong? Should squid free the filedescriptor related
to swapstate file? Any other approach to get what we need?

Thank you in advanced for your help,

--
Víctor J. Hernández Gómez