Re: [squid-users] ipcCreate: fork: (12) Cannot allocate memory

From: <david_at_lang.hm>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 19 Mar 2011, Amos Jeffries wrote:

> On 19/03/11 02:43, Winfield Henry wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Squid has started to NOT come back up after log rotate. Here is snippett
>> from cache.log.
>> Machine has 1G ram and cache_mem is set to 500MB,
>
> Squid uses fork() instead of vfork() to spawn helpers, on some OS the fork()
> implementation prevents extremely huge amounts of virtual memory being
> "allocated" (even though it is neither allocated nor used).

I think you mean that on some OS the form implementation 'results in'
rather than 'prevents'

on linux this is the 'overcommit' option, on by default in the kernel, but
many people think it makes their systems more reliable to disable it.

you can work around the problem by makeing sure the system has enough
virtual memory available, usually by increasing the amount of swap space
avialable.

David Lang