[squid-users] Squid %m parameter - what does it mean and how can I use it

From: Mindaugas Žakšauskas <mindas_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2011 17:12:55 +0000

Hi,

I am trying to implement custom authenticator for Squid by having something like

auth_param basic program my_authenticator.sh

in the /etc/squid3/squid.conf file. It all works fine, but I want to
make an improvement.
What I want to do is to explain users why they have been denied the
service. According to Squid documentation, this is quite possible:

> "ERR" responses may optionally be followed by a error description available as %m in the returned error page.

So in my authenticator I tried to output

ERR You have been browsing too much, come back in 24 hours

instead of just ERR but the browser pop up did not have this text.
Can anyone explain what does %m stand for or point to any example how
to use this?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Mindaugas