[squid-users] Can squid test whether a redirect target is up?

From: David Guertin <guertin_at_middlebury.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 15:17:38 -0400

Hello,

One of our remote web sites has a habit of going offline frequently. I
am trying to configure squid to act as a proxy for this site so that if
the site is down, the browser gets redirected to an alternate page
instead of getting a generic "server error" page.

I have configured squid and squidGuard to handle redirects, but there
doesn't seem to be any way to add any kind of conditional statements to
the config, i.e. "if site A is up, redirect to site A, but if it's down,
redirect to site B."

Is there any way to do this? Is squid the correct tool for this? Would a
different redirector that squidGuard be a better choice?

Thanks,
Dave