Re: [squid-users] youtube safety mode

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 13:31:48 +1300

 On Mon, 21 Mar 2011 16:06:31 -0800, Jon R. wrote:
> On Friday, March 18, 2011 15:48 AKDT, Amos Jeffries wrote:
>
>> On 19/03/11 07:14, Test User wrote:
>> > I had been asked if this is possible and doing a search through
>> the mailing list and google, I could only find a howto for SafeSquid.
>> Is it possible to do this in transparent mode using squid? If so, can
>> someone point me to a doc on how to accomplish this?
>>
>> What is this "youtube safety mode" you speak of?
>>
>> NP: "SafeSquid" is a system which is not related to Squid, just
>> taking
>> the brand name to boost their product.
>>
>> Amos
>
> Hello Amos,
>
> I understand about SafeSquid after spending a couple minutes on their
> site.
>
> The youtube safety mode is a mode that blocks objectionable content
> from appearing as a result in a search. From what I have read it
> appears to only work on a browser by browser basis, so I figured I
> would ask the gurus' if they knew of a way to turn it on using a
> transparent proxy.
>
> Here is a link to YouTubes explanation of what it is:
>
> http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=174084

 That is one truely useless explanation for anyone with technical
 interest.

 Do you have any info or knowledge about how it operates in HTTP? or if
 it even does so?

 Squid has some capability to alter HTTP headers. But that requires
 knowing what is going on in the background and what to change from/to.

 Amos