Re: OT: [squid-users] Is it possible to use Squid as a proxy and cache for a slow CIFS drive ?

From: Alex Crow <alex_at_nanogherkin.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 19:44:22 +0100

On 28/03/11 18:10, George Herbert wrote:
> Squid is a web content cache engine, not a filesystem cache
> technology. The filesystem cache / acelleration systems are a
> completely different class of technology.
>

>> Hi all !
>>
>> We have special scenario with a slow file share where Squid (maybe combined
>> with other tools) could help by acting like as a CIFS proxy and caching
>> system:
>>
>> We're testing an Alfresco ECM System which has a CIFS subsystem (based on
>> jLAN) that is simply to slow for our needs. In this setup the appserver
>> Alfresco (SUSE on vmwars ESXi) and the clients are on a local LAN with Gb
>> Ethernet (some clients on WLAN) connectivity and the clients (Windows and
>> Mac) access Alfresco via the CIFS share provided by Alfresco.

What is jLAN? I've not heard of it.

Is it not possible to boost the server hosting this as much as possible?
ie faster CPU, loads of RAM for caching files, etc.

WAN optimisation is network latency related, and if your servers are
local and on 10Gbe it's not going to help much.

Samba will take as much RAM and CPU as you throw at it, not sure about jLAN.

Putting anything that caches in front of a R/W CIFS server is a very
risky proposition. Locking is probably the biggest. Caching is built
into the protocol, search for "oplocks" for instance.

BWT, Samba can do clustering now - search for CTDB.

Cheers

Alex