Re: [squid-users] Squid as only a transparent cache

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 01:58:25 +1300

On 01/04/11 00:43, Saurabh Agarwal wrote:
> I want Squid to behave only as a transparent caching proxy. We are making all traffic go through a bridge box which runs squid.
> I want that no user can explicitly use squid as a proxy cache by configuring proxy cache settings in the browser. Only traffic that is routed through the bridge box gets transparently intercepted for caching.

Okay. This is more of a firewall problem than a Squid one.

Do you use iptables? I've added the "mangle" tables rules that do this
to the example configuration:
  http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/Intercept/LinuxDnat

(works for DNAT, REDIRECT and TPROXY capturing).

I'm not sure about other firewalls. The criteria of when the block needs
to happen in the packet flow is outlined in that wiki page.

Amos

--
Please be using
   Beta testers wanted for 3.2.0.5